Galaxy’s core CSR theme under its Project “Arogya Vardheeni” is Hand Hygiene. Hand Hygiene message is spread in all adopted and non adopted schools. Galaxy continues its efforts to spread the preventive healthcare message in various schools near TTC, Taloja, Tarapur & Jhagadia. This year our volunteers covered around 1500 students from over 12 schools in Taloja, Tarapur, Jhagadia & Navi Mumbai geography.
GLOBAL HANDWASHING DAY was celebrated on 15th October 2015 by the CSR team. Soaps, toothbrush, toothpaste and food items were distributed during the activity.
Project under hand hygiene (2014-15)
PROJECT: Community Hand Hygiene Initiative “Rog Mukti Aur Tandrusti – Swachch Haath ke Saath”
PROJECT IMPLEMENTED BY: NGO-JSS in Chhattisgarh
PROJECT – SPONSORED BY: GALAXY SURFACTANTS LIMITED
Most of the villagers wash their hands after defecation with whatever water is available e.g. from a borewell, river or pond, but hand washing is rarely practiced in their homes. In this region of India, there are no facilities in village households for hand washing. Thus, there was a need for providing an accessible and affordable Means for Hand washing.
54 remote tribal villages inhabited by poor and primitive tribes of Baiga, Gond and Odoan in forest – fringe areas of Bilaspur District, Chhattisgarh
To provide resource for hand washing, impart education for healthier living and bring down the disease rate through behavior change
– Understanding of Problem and its negative impact
– Creating prototype devices for hand washing station through community members’ participation
– Replicating these units at individual household and community level
– Behavior change among users by creating awareness and educational campaigns involving Live Demos
– Scaling up the intervention, if beneficial
IMPLEMENTATION PHASE II
Phase II was started with better planning and preparations. Therefore, 1000 hand washing stations were installed in much improved way in 47 villages. The assembly had a new design with a tap which is more user-friendly than the older assembly of tube, iron strip and magnet. This reduced repairing and maintenance issues. Galaxy contributed 100% financial support for Phase II.
– Children under 3 years age group easily learnt hand washing technique
– Community Savings due to better attendance at workplace – no wage loss and no spend on medicines
– Improved Community health, wellbeing, self-esteem and pride
– Hygienic habits became a barrier during Cholera epidemic
– Reduced absenteeism seen in schools and hence improved child development
– Reduction in morbidity and mortality rate in children under 5 years age group is visible
Hand-washing station at a Phulwari (creche) – Chhattisgarh
WAY FORWARD – PHASE III
– Launch of Phase III to continue the success story and sustain the impact:
– Expansion of the Program / Adding New Beneficiary
– Continuing Support for Beneficiaries of Phase I and II
– Liquid Soap Making Training for Income Generation to Local Residents